Heating System Maintenance – What you need to know
Heating Tune-Up Atlanta
Just like with your car, proper maintenance is the key to getting the most for your money. If your equipment is new, keep in mind that warranties only cover certain functional parts for a specified length of time. Failure to maintain your system may void the warranty.
Good airflow is the key to a long equipment life. Dirt and neglect will ensure that your unit will not perform at peak efficiency. The best option to ensure your system has a long, dependable life is to maintain a regular equipment maintenance schedule with Empire’s HVAC technician.
Heating System Maintenance Tips
Here are a few things you can do to ensure your heating system is running clean and efficiently.
- You can replace the air filter. If you have the typical 1” filters, make sure to do so at the beginning of each season and every 30 days thereafter. A dirty filter will slow down airflow and make the system work harder to keep you warm. A clean filter will also prevent dust and dirt from building up inside the system, which can lead to expensive maintenance and/or early system failure.
- If you have an extended-surface filter, you may only have to replace it once or twice a year. One of our service technicians can advise you on the requirements for your particular system.
- Be careful when choosing filters. Some of the filters available at big box stores might have high efficiency ratings but they can also be restrictive to air flow. If you get a great filter that reduces airflow by 15 or 20 percent, it can cut the delivered efficiency in half!
- Never ever run you system without a filter. When the filter is removed air volume goes up and any loose debris sitting in the ducts can instantly be drawn into the blower and coils. So don’t do it, even for a little while.
- Keeping replacement filters on hand is a great idea. There are lots of great sources, including the Internet, where you can order filters by the case and save money to boot.
- Don’t block or close off your ducts. Most systems have just enough ductwork to allow the proper amount of air to flow through the system so keep them open and unrestricted.
Atlanta Heating System Maintenance Experts – Empire Heating and Air Conditioning
The easiest and most-recommended way to care for your heating system is to have it serviced at least once a year by a qualified technician. Empire Heating and Air Conditioning has planned maintenance programs that provide a complete and organized program of service and maintenance to keep your heating system in top operating order. Call Empire Heating and Air Conditioning at 404-294-0900 to sign-up for our planned maintenance program to keep your heating system running at peak efficiency.