Carbon monoxide warnings for ventless fireplaces

Carbon Monoxide Risk

Today, ventless fireplaces are becoming a popular heat source in Georgia. Ventless fireplaces are economical, and convenient, so the popularity is spreading through Southeastern states, especially around metro Atlanta area. The often overlooked downfall of a ventless fireplace is the carbon monoxide that they produce. Since they are ventless, the carbon monoxide does not have anywhere to go, but inside your home. They use the air in the room to for combustion, so a minor amount of the gas released by combustion can also be released into the area.

Ventless Fireplaces

There are several different types of ventless fireplaces available on the market. They are available in electric, natural gas, and units that burn a gel. These ventless fireplace units have been widely debated for the last decade, and considered unsafe by some. They do have to follow strict federal guidelines to assure they burn safely. A carbon monoxide detector is highly recommended for every home, but especially if you have a ventless fireplace in your home. Critics suggest that at time of combustion, and when the unit shuts off, is the time that presents the most risk for carbon monoxide. A well placed carbon monoxide detector in the same room as the ventless fireplace will give a quick and early warning, if the unit produced more carbon monoxide than it was supposed to.

Electric units wouldn’t have the carbon monoxide risks associated as much as the gel and natural gas models. In Tulsa, Oklahoma, a family of four is recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning due to their ventless fireplace. Carbon monoxide detectors could have prevented that event, and they will prevent a tragedy at your home.

Use Carbon Monoxide Detector

Ventless fireplaces are economic to use, but be warned of the risk. If you plan on installing a ventless fireplace, make sure you get at least 1 carbon monoxide detector for the room that it will be in. If you need assistance in choosing the correct carbon monoxide detector, call Empire Heating and Air Conditioning at 404-294-0900.

Posted in