How Do I Know if My Air Conditioner Needs Repair?
When the summer temperatures are at their hottest, there’s nothing like the cool, comfortable reprieve provided by an air-conditioned home. But, if your AC system doesn’t seem to be cooling your home as it should, it can leave you and your family feeling hot and sticky, and can even cost you more in utility bills.
Fortunately, there are a few signs your air conditioning system might give you if it’s in need of repair, or even maintenance. In this article, we’ll talk about five signals your system might send you if it needs attention, and how Empire can help repair your AC – and get you and your family back to the cool comfort you deserve.
Five Signs Your AC System May Need Repair
- There is no cool air coming out of your system. If the air coming out of your air conditioning system is warm, your system is probably low on refrigerant. In the event that you have no air coming from your system, the problem could be frozen coils, a broken fan, a dirty filter, or a vent obstruction. You should have your air conditioning contractor evaluate your system, as maintenance or repair is likely needed.
- Your outdoor unit has ice on it. If the outside component of your air conditioning system has ice on it, there are a couple of likely causes. It may be low on refrigerant, or it may be that air is not flowing through your system. An airflow problem is often caused by a dirty filter, but low refrigerant is something that will have to be taken care of by your HVAC contractor. That’s because it’s very important to make sure you have the right type and level of refrigerant
- There is an unpleasant odor coming from your AC system. If you notice a musty or stale odor coming from your air conditioning system, chances are mold or mildew are growing somewhere in your system, and it probably needs a proper cleaning. If you notice a burning plastic or rubber odor, there is likely a mechanical component failure in your system.
- Your utility bills are higher than normal. Many people notice an increase in their utility bills when they’re frequently running their air conditioning system. This can be expected. But, if your bills seem much higher than normal, it could mean that your air conditioning system is working harder than it needs to be to cool your home. While the problem could be as simple as a dirty filter, it’s best to have your system evaluated by a professional.
- Some of the rooms in your home aren’t as cool as others. There are several reasons you may be noticing that some rooms don’t cool down like others. If you have built an addition onto your home, your AC system might be too small to handle cooling your entire home. You may also have a blocked air duct which is preventing the cool air from flowing into the room.
I think my air conditioner needs repair. How can Empire help me?
At Empire Heating & Air Conditioning, we’re pleased to offer our customers complete air conditioning services, performed by our highly-qualified technicians. Whether you need AC repair, maintenance, or a brand-new system, Empire is ready to help meet your home comfort needs. Not only will we provide you with expert services, but if you need new equipment, we proudly offer top-of-the-line air conditioning products from Daikin and American Standard.
To learn about our air conditioning repair services and more, contact us today at 404.294.0900. We’ll be happy to help, no matter what your air conditioning need may be.