Should I Upgrade to New HVAC Equipment?
For many homeowners, the decision to upgrade to new cooling and heating equipment happens when their current system fails. While nobody really likes to think about the expense associated with installing new HVAC equipment, most people don’t realize that they can be spending much more than they need to with the system they have. How can you know if it will be more cost-effective to replace your cooling or heating equipment? This article may help you find the answers you need.
When should I start considering replacing my current system?
Let’s face it – HVAC equipment is expensive, but it has an important job to do. Much like your vehicle safely transports you and your family from one place to another, your home comfort system keeps you comfortable and safe all year through. While it would be great if cars – and furnaces and air conditioning systems – never needed to be replaced, the reality is, hard-working equipment just doesn’t last forever. Your HVAC equipment will likely start giving you some signs that it’s headed for a breakdown.
- Your system is more than 10 years old. As we mentioned above, your HVAC equipment works hard to keep your family comfortable. If your furnace and air conditioning are getting up there in age, they’re probably just not working as well as they used to. And, because of advances in HVAC technology, it’s quite likely that your older equipment is just not as efficient as its modern counterparts.
- You’re calling for repairs more often than you’d like. If it seems like your Empire technician has become a member of the family because they’re at your home making repairs frequently, it might be time to replace. While we like helping our customers with any HVAC problem they may be having, we also know it’s not cost-effective to have to make constant repairs.
- Your energy bills have been on the rise. If your energy usage has been creeping up steadily over the past couple of years, but there’s no real reason why it should be, the home’s HVAC system is often the culprit. This is especially true if your system is older or hasn’t been maintained properly.
So, I’m spending a lot on energy bills and repairs. Is a new system really a better choice?
You might still be wondering if getting a new system is really going to make a difference. At Empire, we believe in being honest with our customers. If we check out your system and repairs are simple and cost-effective, that’s the route we’ll take with your equipment. But, if we can help you get into a system that keeps you comfortable and helps you save energy, we’ll suggest that.
There are real benefits to replacing a system that’s older, like we did for this homeowner. We provided them with a new system that took their space issues into account, and offered them the quiet, high-efficiency comfort they needed. Here are a few ways you can benefit, too:
- Lower energy costs. As we mentioned before, and older systems are less efficient than their modern counterparts, and tend to lose efficiency year after year. A new system will provide you with greater energy efficiency, which can help you save on energy bills.
- Improved home comfort. Your home comfort is important. If your system isn’t working as well as it should be, that means you and your family are also probably not as comfortable as you’d like. Because people build onto their homes, remodel, or convert spaces like garages, attics, and basements, the square footage of your home could be much different than it was when your HVAC system was installed. A new system will account for changes, improving the comfort level in your home.
- Possible rebates and incentives. Many manufacturers provide equipment rebates, and utility companies often provide incentives for installing new, higher-efficiency equipment – both of which can help you save on equipment costs.
- Improved home value. If you’ve been thinking about selling your home, an older HVAC system can be detrimental. Homebuyers don’t want to purchase a home where costly replacements will have to be made right away. You can add value to your home by making sure the HVAC system is appealing to buyers.
- Equipment warranties. Your older equipment might be out of warranty – and that can mean repairs may be costly. If your equipment is out of warranty, and it hasn’t been keeping you as comfortable as you’d like, it may be much more cost-effective to have your old equipment replaced, rather than make expensive, out-of-pocket repairs when the time comes. Of course, your new equipment will likely come with a warranty, which you can help keep in place by making sure you get regular HVAC maintenance.
Ready to replace your HVAC system with new, efficient products? Empire can help.
If you think it may be time to replace your furnace or air conditioning system, we’re ready to help. We can show you energy-efficient options that will keep you and your family much more comfortable, help you save money, and add value to your home.
Simply give us a call at 404.294.0900, and we’ll be happy to schedule an appointment.